Juan Jose Martinez
Name: Dr. Juan Jose Martinez
Department: Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science
Job Title: Research Fellow Optoelectronics
Telephone: 01443 654227
Room: J Block Garage Lab
Qualifications: M.Sc. in Communication Systems Engineering, University of Zaragoza
Ph. D. in “Information and Communications Technologies in mobile networks”, University of Zaragoza
After obtaining my M.Sc. in Communication Systems Engineering by the University of Zaragoza in 2005 I’ve been working as a researcher for the Zaragoza University, first as a granted student and later I become an assistant researcher where I worked mainly in optical access networks and POF fibres. I received my Ph. D. in “Information and Communications Technologies in mobile networks” from Zaragoza University in 2011. In April 2012 I accepted a position as a research fellow in the University of Glamorgan (Wales, UK) where I’ve started to work in other fields of electro-optical science such as optical metrology and where I’m currently stay.
The orientation of my Ph. D. along with all the work of the last years has given me a very strong background in experimental and lab work. With a great knowledge of lab devices and equipment and a positive attitude to propose and evaluate experimental schemes
Main Research Areas:
Optical Communications, Passive Optic Networks (PON), Access optical Networks, Semiconductor Amplifiers (SOA), Frequency Scanning Interference (FSI) metrology, Optical Metrology, Plastic Optic Fibre (POF).
- A. López, I. Garcés, M. A. Losada, J. J. Martínez, A. Villafranca, J. A. Lázaro, “Narrow-FSK optical packet labelling scheme for optical Ethernet networks”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 18 p. 1696-1698, Aug 2006
- I. Garcés, J. C. Aguado, J. J. Martínez, A. López, A. Villafranca, M. A. Losada, “Analysis of narrow-FSK downstream modulation in colourless WDM PONs”, IET Electronic Letters 43 p. 471-472, Apr 2007
- J. J. Martínez, I. Garcés, A. López, A. Villafranca, J.C. Aguado, M. A. Losada, “Novel WDM-PON architecture based on a spectrally efficient IM-FSK scheme using DMLs and RSOAs”, IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology 26, p. 350-356, Feb 2008
- J. J. Martínez, I. Garcés, A. López, A. Villafranca, M. A. Losada, “Analysis of the influence of backscattered optical power over bidirectional PON links”, Elsevier Optical Communications 283, p. 2243-2250, May 2010
- J. J. Martínez, A. Villafranca, C. D. Heras, M. I. Roche, J. M. Subias, J. Pelayo, E. Pellejer, P. Blasco, I. Garcés, “In-Band Optical Signal-to-noise ratio monitoring method based on high-resolution polarization analysis an induced differential group delay”, OSA Applied Optics 49, p. 6213-6216, Nov 2010
- M. A. Losada, J. Mateo, J. J. Martínez, “Assessment of the impact of localized disturbances on SI-POF transmission using a matrix propagation model”, IOP Journal of Optics 13, May 2011
- J. J. Martínez, N. Merayo, A. Villafranca, I. Garcés, “Assessment of linear semiconductor amplifiers for upgrading WDM-PONs with wavelength reuse”, Applied Optics Vol. 51 No. 2, Jan 2012
- A. Lopez, N. Merayo, J. J. Martínez, P. Fernandez, “Fiber to the Home Through Passive Optical Networks”, Chapter, WDM Systems and Networks: Modelling, Simulation, Design and Engineering, Springer ISBN 978-1-4614-1092-8, Feb 2012
- Y. Gong, J. Huang, K. Li, N. Copner, J.J. Martinez, L. Wang, T. Duan, W. Zhang, “Spoof four-wave mixing for all-optical wavelength conversion”, Optics Express Vol 20, p. 24030-24037, Oct 2012
- M. Cabezón, A. Villafranca, J.J. Martínez, D. Izquierdo, I. Garcés, “Integrated Multi-Bit All-Optical NOR Gate for High Speed Data Processing”, Journal of Lightwave Technology 31, pp 1178-1184, Apr 2013.
- J.J. Martínez, N. Merayo, A. Villafranca, I. Garcés, “Remote-seeded WDM-PON upgrade using linear semiconductor optical amplifiers”, Optics Communications 295, pp 119-124, May 2013.